Happy World Diabetes Day – 11.14.2015
Let us stop diabetes together.
What is Pre-Diabetes?
One out of three American adults has pre-diabetes, and most of them do not know it. Having pre-diabetes means your blood glucose (sugar) level is higher than normal, but not high enough to be diagnosed as diabetes. This raises your risk of type 2 diabetes, heart disease, and stroke.
Without weight loss and moderate physical activity, many people with pre-diabetes will develop type 2 diabetes within 3 years. Type 2 diabetes is a serious condition that can lead to health issues such as heart attack; stroke; blindness; kidney failure; or loss of toes, feet, or legs.
The lifestyle changes you make with the help of your Bremo Pharmacist could help you prevent or delay type 2 diabetes.
What are things that could put me at risk for pre-diabetes?
- If you are 45 years of age or older
- Are overweight
- Have a family history of type 2 diabetes
- Are physically active fewer than 3 times per week
- Ever had diabetes while pregnant which disappeared after delivering the baby (gestational diabetes) or gave birth to a baby that weighed more than 9 pounds
What do I do if I think I am at risk for pre-diabetes or type 2 diabetes?
- Take this fact sheet to a Pharmacist or other health care provider and ask to be screened for pre-diabetes.
- You can also check out the “Could You Have Pre-diabetes?” online quiz at www.cdc.gov/Diabetes/Prevention. If your score shows you are at high risk for pre-diabetes, talk to your Pharmacist or other health care provider.
What are the three best ways to reduce my risk of pre-diabetes and diabetes?
- Eat a healthy diet rich in vegetables, fruits, lean meats, and whole grains. Avoid as much processed food as possible and try to eliminate trans-fats, added salt, and added sugars.
- Have fun outside or do your favorite aerobic activity at least 30 minutes most days of the week. Try to add weight bearing activity two to three times a week. Seek out fitness professionals or ask your Pharmacist or other healthcare provider for a good place to start.
- Enjoy this healthy lifestyle with friends! The best way to embrace a new and improved lifestyle and to stay successful is by surrounding yourself with like-minded people.
When I visit my Pharmacist, what will happen?
- Your Bremo Pharmacist will go over your current exercise, diet, and medication plan with you and find out how you can best approach ways to reduce your risk of developing pre-diabetes or diabetes.
- You will also have a quick blood test done to see what your blood sugar is. This will give the Pharmacist an idea of how you are doing and evaluate your need for further testing. You will be able to find out your result in just minutes and your Pharmacist will talk you through your options depending upon your result.
Concerned you may have Pre-Diabetes or Diabetes?
From October through December you can get a FREE screening at Bremo Pharmacy! Schedule an appointment by calling 804-288-8361 ext 120.