Compression socks are becoming more and more popular due to their variety of uses and great benefits to leg health. These socks are specially designed to provide “compression” or pressure to the legs in order to improve circulation and swelling, or even prevent blood clots from forming in the lower veins of the legs. With certain conditions, veins in the leg may not work well and blood can pool in the lower legs, causing swelling and discomfort. Compression socks help push the blood in your legs back to your heart and keep your blood flowing as it should.
Almost all patients could benefit from compression socks, especially if you are pregnant, have had a deep vein thrombosis (DVT) or clots in the lower legs, swelling, or plan to travel and will be sitting for extended periods of time. Compression socks are great for those who may work at an office and may be sitting for long periods of time. Also, people who are on their feet all day, such as waitresses, teachers, nurses, and pharmacists, may benefit greatly from using compression socks.
A common concern patients have with compression socks are that they may not seem “fashionable”. However, Bremo Pharmacy at Henrico Doctors Hospital now carries a new kind of compression socks called VIM & VIGR, a specialized brand of compression socks that are effective and perfect for fashionable patients everywhere. VIM & VIGR states that their legwear can help energize legs, prevent swelling, alleviate achiness & heaviness, slow the progression of spider & varicose veins, and aid in muscle recovery.
Types of VIM & VIGR Socks
All socks come in 15-20mmHg, which is considered mild to moderate compression. If you or a loved one need moderate to high levels of compression, VIM & VIGR socks are available in 20-30mmHg. These socks require a prescription and would need to be ordered by Bremo Pharmacy at Henrico Doctors’ Hospital. All socks come in a variety of patterns, ranging from stripes and polka dots to argyle and plaid. Additionally, VIM & VIGR makes socks that are fashionable for both men and women, ranging from $25.95 to $39.95 in cost. Depending on your insurance, these socks may be covered by a flexible spending account (FSA) card.
- These high-quality socks are made with nylon and spandex. These socks are great for athletic use and come in a variety of striped patterns. Additionally, these socks come in wide calf sizing for patients with calf circumference between 18”-22”.
- The socks are made with cotton, nylon, and spandex. These socks are perfect for everyday use and can be worn all year long. Additionally, these socks come in wide calf sizing for patients with calf circumference between 18”-22”.
- These socks are made with wool, nylon, and spandex. Typically, wool can be itchy and uncomfortable; however, many clients state that the wool in these socks are not itchy whatsoever and keep feet and legs quite warm. The wool VIM & VIGR socks are perfect for winter and can be worn with shoes or boots.
- Moisture-Wick Nylon
- The moisture-wick nylon socks are created with fabrics that draw sweat and moisture off of the skin and onto the top of the sock fabric, allowing the moisture to evaporate. These socks are perfect for everyday use and can be worn all year long, especially during hot summer months. Additionally, these socks come in wide calf sizing for patients with calf circumference between 18”-22”.
- VIM & VIGR makes tights for women coming in both black and black argyle varieties. These tights provide 15-20 mmHg of compression, while providing women with a stylish look under skirts and dresses. This variety of VIM & VIGR legwear can cost up to $49.95 and can be ordered by your Bremo pharmacist or pharmacy technicians.
Sizing for VIM & VIGR Socks
VIM & VIGR has an extensive sizing chart to help you find the best size for you! See the chart below to discover which size would work for you. For those needing wide calf sizing, Bremo Pharmacy would like to measure you. It is preferable to take measurements in the morning (between 9am and 11am) as swelling is the least at this time. If interested in getting measured, please make an appointment with a staff member of Bremo Pharmacy at Henrico Doctors Hospital.
How to Properly Wear VIM & VIGR Socks
You can put on VIM & VIGR socks similar to how you would put on any compression sock. You can read more about how to properly wear compression socks at “How to Use and Wear Compression Stockings”. Sometimes, it can be tricky to put compression socks on your legs. However, Bremo Pharmacy has many tips and tricks, such as the SIGVARIS Doff N’ Donner, to make this process very easy.
These socks sound great! How can I get my VIM & VIGR socks?
We at Bremo Pharmacy think that you’ll be thrilled by these fashionable and effective compression socks. If you are interested in buying a pair, come visit us at Bremo Pharmacy at Henrico Doctors Hospital on 1602 Skipwith Road in Richmond or give us a call at 804-285-7730. We would be happy to help you find your perfect pair of VIM & VIGR socks!